Back in May of 2011, Linden Lab rearranged the main Linden sandboxes, merging Sandbox Island and Sandbox Island Extension with Sandboxes Cordova, Goguen, Newcomb and Wanderton. Apparently this was done to provide some Linden ocean sims where residents could sail their boats. The sailors were happy, but the sandbox regulars were not. There was a short discussion about the change on the LL forums, “Public Sandboxes merged,” and Liisa Runo created JIRA entry SVC-7033, “Fix old sandboxes” on June 12, 2011. That JIRA is still listed with a status if “Fix Pending” and a resolution of “Unresolved.”
I added a comment to that JIRA on January 13, 2012 as a result of a detailed survey of the sandboxes. On February 22, 2012, Patch Linden responded and promised to look at the problems and “adjust as I see fit.” So almost one year after the post, let’s look at the JIRA comment and see what has changed (current status will be noted in red).
GreenLantern Excelsior added a comment – 13/Jan/12 7:57 PM – edited
“Sandbox parcels need to be no-object-entry.”
- Plum has object entry turned on. Patch Linden’s comment: “Plum checks out ok. Object entry being off on Plum would not be correct, as it is part of the contiguous mainland, turning this off would break vehicle crossing/flight continuity.”
“And the lil safe-zone parcels with the sandbox sign need to be no-script, object entry, 1 min autoreturn.”
- Plum safe zone southeast – autoreturn 5 minutes, scripting is on – No change
- Plum large safe zone south central – scripting is on – No change
- Sandbox Island (TG) – autoreturn 5 minutes, object entry is off – No change
- Sandbox Island 2(TG) – autoreturn 5 minutes, building is on, object entry is off – Don’t know – This sim has been offline for months
- Sandbox Island 3(TG) – autoreturn 5 minutes, object entry is off – Scripts are on, otherwise no change
- Sandbox Island 4(TG) – autoreturn 5 minutes, building is on, object entry is off – Scripts are on, otherwise no change
- Sandbox Newcomb has two safe zones with building turned on in the southwest one. – Now only one safe zone exists, northeast corner, building turned off
“Also lately when LL come to clean a griefer attack, they disable scripts from the sandboxes.”
- Scripts are turned off in Sandbox Cordova and Sandbox Newcomb – The “About Land” window shows that scripts are turned on in Sandbox Cordova, but the black menu bar at the top of the page shows that scripts are off, and vehicles and scripted objects don’t work. Scripts are turned off in Sandbox Goguen, Newcomb, Wanderton, and Sandbox Island Extension (and voice is turned off in SIE). Scripts are turned on in Sandbox Island (but voice is turned off in SI), Sandbox Island (TG), Sandbox Island 3(TG), Sandbox Island 4(TG) and Plum.
Some of the sandboxes need signs in the safe zone
- Sandbox Newcomb – Still no sign
- Plum – Safe zone southeast now has a sign. Safe zone south central has a sign near the safe zone but not inside it. There is another sign between those two for a total of three.
- Sandbox Island – Has a sign now
- Sandbox Island (TG) – has a partial sign – No change, just a floating “NO WEAPONS” sign
- Sandbox Island 2(TG) – Don’t know – This sim has been offline for months
- Sandbox Island 3(TG) – Has a sign now
- Sandbox Island 4(TG) – Has a sign now
- Sandbox Island Extension – Has a sign now
- Sandbox Wanderton has two signs but no standard sized safe zone. – No change – also, the two signs (southwest and southeast corners) are missing the big red “NO WEAPONS” sign
Some of the sandboxes have different return times
- Sandbox Cordova – 300 – Now 180
- Sandbox Goguen – 120 – Now 180
- Sandbox Newcomb – 300 – Now 180
- Plum – 180 – No change
- Sandbox Island – 180 – No change
- Sandbox Island (TG) – 5 – Now 180
- Sandbox Island 2(TG) – 5 – Don’t know – This sim has been offline for months
- Sandbox Island 3(TG) – 180 – No change
- Sandbox Island 4(TG) – 180 – No change
- Sandbox Island Extension – 180 – No change
- Sandbox Wanderton – 300 – Now 180
- The northwest corner of Plum is called “Plum Welcome Area” and contains what appears to be an incomplete prototype of Help Island owned by Governor Linden. Autoreturn is set to 5 minutes, object entry on, building off, scripting on. – No change
There are various small safe zones at the edges of some sandboxes
Sandbox Island Extension
– Sandboxes Cordova, Goguen, Wanderton and Sandbox Island Extension are now surrounded by safe zones with object entry on, scripts on, building off and autoreturn set to one minute. Plum is surrounded by a safe zone with object entry, building and scripts turned on and object return time set to 5 minutes. In the zone around Sandbox Cordova, the “About Land” window shows that scripts are turned on, but the black menu bar at the top of the page shows that scripts are off, and vehicles and scripted objects don’t work. Sandbox Wanderton also has a tiny parcel at the southwest corner with building, scripts and object entry turned on and autoreturn set to 5 minutes. Sandbox Island and Sandbox Newcomb are not surrounded by safe zones.
A reasonable assumption here would be that Patch Linden did what he said he would do. He went through the sandboxes, adjusted the return times, and put up a few signs. At some later time, Sandbox Island and Extension were moved back into their original island locations and were temporarily joined to the mainland by the “Pathfinding Sandboxes” (which went away after a few months). At around the same time, some of the sandboxes had “safe zones” created around them. These are actually a pretty good idea, since they catch most of the flying griefer objects and delete them within a minute or so.
But the Linden execution fell flat when they abandoned the sandboxes to the griefers. Teen Grid Sandbox Island 2 probably failed to restart, and the last Linden tasked with taking care of sandboxes never bothered to check back on it. One of the last Lindens responding to griefer attacks turned off scripts to end a problem, and never bothered to check back and enable them again. Traditionally, Sandbox Newcomb was the only LL sandbox with scripts turned off, a haven for structure builders who didn’t want to be harassed with replicating cubes. Now it’s tough for the sandbox residents to push griefer objects out, because their scripted tools won’t work.
Please, Linden Lab, come back and fix the sandboxes. Residents who aren’t premium members don’t have any other Linden land where they can build and test their creations. We need you.